Saturday, September 24, 2011

Saturday afternoon... too many questions~!

By this time, you’ve all seen either the Arizona Republic, or the Diocese of Phoenix web site press release indicating that Bishop Olmsted desires to prohibit the distribution of the Eucharist under both species at some point in the future.  He is the only bishop in the United States to indicate his desire to do this.  According to the General Instruction on the Roman Missal (GIRM), it is his right as the Ordinary of a diocese to impose this guideline.
If you read my blog posted on Tuesday, September 20th ~ just a day before this press release was made public ~ I stated the following: “The actual changes in the Latin text or typical edition of the 3rd Edition of the Roman Missal are relatively few in number; they include things like expanded possibilities for Communion under both species and prayers commemorating those Saints who were canonized in the preceding 25 years.”
I stand by what I wrote.  Please read the GIRM.  It is available on the USCCB web site in its entirety.  Bishop Olmsted is also correct ~ he can put limits of the people of the Diocese of Phoenix.  We can both be right, and disagree.  
I do very much like Bishop Olmsted... and hold him in high regard... please don't think otherwise because I write this.  I've worked with him closely since his arrival in the Phoenix Diocese, and will continue to do so on many different occasions and projects.  I pray for him every day, and I hope that he prays for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment